zzzzz zzzzz

The Provincial Priory of Lincolnshire

Constituted in Grimsby on 19th July, 1910
HRH The Duke of Connaught

  M E N U



Location: Lincoln Masonic Centre, 116 Nettleham Road, Lincoln, LN2 1RR


Meetings: First Thursday in October (I),
March, June and the second Thursday in January

A brief History of the Temple Bruer Preceptory No. 143
Extracted from documents prepared by
V.E.Kt. Allan H. Briggs, P.Gt. Registrar, to mark the Centenary Year in 1978

TB Picture

On 14th February 1879, at the old masonic rooms, Newland, Lincoln a small meeting was held which was to have momentous results. There were presents Charles John Hayward who was elected to take the chair, Frederick Watson elected as temporary registrar, and George May Lowe M.D. They met to discuss the feasibility of establishing a Preceptory of Knights Templar in Lincoln a bold and imaginative proposal considering that this could be achieved only at substantial expense and in almost complete isolation save for a somewhat tenuous link with Great Priory, for it would be the first Preceptory in the whole of the old masonic Province of Lincolnshire, at that time the second largest county in England. A letter was composed outlining these intentions, and copies were sent to all known members of the Order residing within a reasonable distance. Several replied expressing interest and promising support. The prospect of a future supply of suitable candidates to maintain the Preceptory must have been a matter for some concern; Freemasonry was as yet relatively undeveloped in Lincoln which then maintained only two Craft Lodges (Witham Lodge, No. 297, and St. Hugh Lodge No. 1386, warranted respectively on 23rd September 1793 and 16th December 1871), one Royal Arch Chapter, (the Chapter of Concord No. 297, warranted on 5th May 1869), and one Mark Lodge (Remigius No. 117, warranted on 5th September 1870).

When the necessary minimum number of Founders (seven) was forthcoming it was decided to proceed to prepare a petition for a new Preceptory under the style and title of Temple Bruer in reference to the old historic Commandery of Knights Templar which stood on the heathland a few miles south of Lincoln, and of which substantial remains, partly ruinous, were still in existence. All the petitioners had themselves been installed at various times in the same Preceptory: the Antient York Conclave of Redemption, at Hull. They were as follows, the date of Installation being appended:

1. Frederick Watson, engineer's clerk, (1st May 1868)
2. Richard John Ward, solicitor, (21st November 1870) constable designate.
3. William Watkins, architect, (14th February 1871) first Preceptor.
4. Charles John Hayward, chemist, (29th September 1871) first marshal.
5. George May Lowe M.D., physician, (4th May 1876).
6. Alfred Kirk, Bank manager, (22nd November 1872).
7. Henry Edward Turnour M.D., physician, (20th March 1874) of Market Rasen.

The petition was favourably received, and a warrant dated 4th, April 1879 was issued by Lord Skelmersdale, the Great Prior, on behalf of the Grand Master, H.R.H, Albert Edward Prince of Wales. It was countersigned by Alexander Staveley Hill, Chancellor, and Raymond H. Thrupp, Registrar and bears the seal of the Order. The original warrant, still preserved in good condition, is in regular use. It is written entirely in Latin, but an official English translation is attached to the early minutes of the Preceptory. No by-laws were drawn up, but a scale of fees and subscriptions was adopted by resolution, and it was also resolved to meet on the first Friday in every quarter.

The Provincial Prior for Lancashire, V.E.Kt. Clement Robert Nuttall Beswicke-Royds was appointed consecrating officer for the consecration and inauguration of the Preceptory, and duly carried out the ceremony on Thursday 12th. June 1879. William Watkins was installed as first Preceptor and invested the first officers as follows: (it is noteworthy that they differed somewhat from those of today) R.J. Ward as Constable (One only appointed), C.J. Hayward as Marshal, G.M. Lowe as prelate, F. Watson as registrar and almoner, A. Kirk as sub-Marshal, H.E. Turnour as Captain of the guards, and R.J. Ward and C.J. Hayward as auditors, F. Watson was elected treasurer. William Strangward, the assistant janitor of the Chapter of Concord, was elected a serving brother, and by dispensation, was obligated as such: he was to give the new Preceptory thirty years’ service in that capacity. Thomas Marshal Wilkinson, surgeon, of Lincoln, was approved by ballot and installed a Knight Templar, and was thereupon invested as standard bearer. At the conclusion of what must have been a long and complicated ceremony the consecrating and installing officer, the distinguished visitors, and all concerned were accorded a hearty vote of thanks, and an Installation Banquet was held at the Albion Hotel. The new Preceptory was small in numbers and grew slowly; the usual attendances were not more than seven or eight, including the guard; the finances were somewhat precarious, and all the heavy initial expenses had to be shared between very few - it is pleasant to record that the consecrating officer declined to accept the expenses proffered to him - but a loan fund was set up and several of the founders advanced sums on loan to the Preceptory amounting to £25 in all. This figure should be multiplied by at least ten to be comparable with present day (1978) money values.

The Installation Fee (K.T.) was fixed at five guineas, (K.M. one guinea); the Joining Fee at one and a half guineas (K.M. seven shillings and sixpence); and the annual subscription, to include the K.M. degree, was half a guinea payable in advance. Although these sums seem relatively small, multiplied by ten they become more realistic at today's (1978) values, and they were quite formidable. From time to time some of the early members had to be excluded for non-payment of dues.

The resolution to meet on the first Friday in every quarter was liberally interpreted: for example in the years 1878 to 1880, the day of the week on which the Preceptory met was by no means exclusively Fridays; seven meetings were held on a Monday, twenty-two on Tuesday, ten on Wednesday, fifteen on Thursday, fifteen on Friday and three on Saturday, apart from a few instances when the day of the week was not recorded. It does not seem to have been considered necessary to apply for a dispensation to alter the due date, and indeed until the Preceptory belonged to a Province and possessed approved by-laws, it is difficult to see how dispensations could readily have been obtained. The dates were simply decided to meet the convenience of the small membership; visitors were rare and nobody else was likely to be concerned. The business often comprised only the opening, the reading of the brief muster roll and a portion 'of the Constitutions’ (sic), the minutes and the closing.

With the assistance of a visiting past preceptor from Hull E. Kt. W. Watkins was able to install Richard John Ward, solicitor, as his successor and the second Preceptor of Temple Bruer Preceptory on 9th, October 1880, the meeting having been postponed from the first Friday in June 1880 as the preceptor elect was unavailable. Only seven members were present, including the visitor and the guard, and of these seven only two had reached the rank of Preceptor. The death of Kt. C.J. Hayward in 1880 created a curious problem; he had advanced £10 for the loan account, and it was felt that this sum should be repaid forthwith to his widow, but the treasurer reported a balance of eleven shillings and sixpence in the almoner's fund, while the Preceptory account was in debt to the Bank to the extent of fourteen shillings and fourpence. The six members present rose to the occasion; each donated £1.13. there and then so that repayment was made in full the following day.

On 17th, June 1881 Dr. G.M. Lowe was installed as third Preceptor and thereafter the Preceptory always had available at least two members of Preceptor's rank to carry out the ceremony.

By 14th June 1882 the affairs of the Preceptory had taken a turn for the better £5 of the loan account was repaid (to Dr. G.M. Lowe) and there was a small working balance in hand.

Frederick Watson was installed as the fourth Preceptor: seven members were present but eleven officers were appointed: William Rainforth (installed on 25th November 1881) was appointed Almoner, Registrar and Treasurer, and indeed held the offices of Registrar and Treasurer jointly until 1910, after which he continued in office as Treasurer only until 1924: an astonishing record of service. For the first time two standard bearers appear in the list of officers. The new Preceptor Frederick Watson presented a handsome baton to the Preceptory and an Installation Banquet was held at the Albion Hotel.

In 1883 a further loan was repaid, leaving a working balance of £1.14.9. In this year Alfred Kirk was installed as the fifth Preceptor, and the indefatigable William Rainforth added to his offices of Almoner, Registrar, and Treasurer that of Marshal too.

On Tuesday 1st, July 1884 T.M. Wilkinson was installed as the sixth Preceptor and appointed William Rainforth as Constable; but later that year sadly Dr. G.M. Lowe resigned his membership (there appeared to be no machinery for the creation of honorary members) and Dr. Turnour was excluded for non-payment of dues. All the original Founders had now occupied the chair except Dr. Turnour and C.J. Hayward who died in I860, and future Preceptors were drawn from candidates installed in Temple Bruer Preceptor itself. The last of the loan account was finally repaid, and in 1887 the masonic hall moved to Mint Street.

In 1889 it was resolved to request the Provincial Prior for East Anglia, Captain N.G. Phillips, to receive the Temple Bruer Preceptory under the banner of the province of East Anglia, to which he consented. There is no record of Great Priory being consulted about the arrangements at all. A copy of the by-laws of the Prudence Preceptory No. 16 at Ipswich was presented to the Temple Bruer Preceptory who decided to adopt them, with those things having been changed which needed to be changed, and the Preceptory then had by-laws of their own for the first time.

1890 was memorable for two events: H.C. Cousans was appointed Great Prior's Banner Bearer, the first Great Priory honour received by any member of the Preceptory; and, by arrangement with the City Corporation the Provincial Priory of East Anglia, to which the Preceptory now belonged, met in Lincoln at the Guildhall.

In 1891 it was resolved to work the degree of Knight of Malta in Lincoln: an ambitious project considering that the average attendance was still only about five to seven members. There had however been a steady improvement in the financial position of the Preceptory, which now had £15.11.8 in hand, with a balance of £4.11.6 in the Almoner's fund; it was clear of debt, and was indeed able to assist the Witham Lodge by a loan of £10 for their new Lodge premises.

Provincial Priory of East Anglia was held in Lincoln on 14th, November 1897, and again on 14th, June 1900.

In 1901 the Witham Lodge cleared by a second instalment of £5 the loan made to them, and enquired whether the Preceptory would agree to the use of electric light in place of gas at Mint Street: this was agreed, although there were some misgivings expressed that additional costs would be involved.

In 1902 it was resolved to donate £5.5.0 towards the restoration of Eagle Church, which had been granted by King Stephen to the Knights Templar, and was held by them for several hundred years.

The great services rendered to the Order by E.Kt. W. Rainforth was recognised by Great Priory in 1902 by his appointment as Great Captain of the Guard. On the 29th October of the same year he attended a meeting of Provincial Priory of East Anglia at Norwich; neither the Provincial Prior nor the Sub-Prior was able to attend, and E.Kt. Rainforth found himself the senior Past Great Officer present, and was called upon to preside.

The constraining effect of the adoption of official by-laws and the inclusion in a Province was notable in 1906 when a dispensation was sought and obtained to change the date of a meeting.

In 1907 Provincial Priory of East Anglia was once again held in Lincoln, and the Preceptory lost by resignation two very distinguished members: W. Watkins and J. Sutcliffe.

In 1908 V.E.Kt. Major the Hon, George Edward Heneage Second Great Constable was elected a Joining member, and the congratulations of the Preceptory were expressed to William Rainforth who had served as Registrar (as well as long service in other offices) for twenty-six years. The gratitude of the Preceptory for long and faithful service was marked by the presentation of a 'piece of plate’ - a silver rose bowl, which he richly deserved. It is to be regretted that this delightful custom has since fallen into desuetude.

About this time the health of William Strangward, who had served as outer guard since the consecration, was causing concern. A grant of £2.20 had been made to him during an illness in 1904, and he had made quite a good recovery, but he relapsed in 1909 and a further grant of £3 was made to him: within a few weeks however he died. His rate of remuneration (5/- per meeting) had remained unchanged throughout the three decades of his service to the Preceptory. He was replaced by Companion Charles Jones. The average attendance was slowly increasing, but was still only about eight to ten, with rather more at Installations and special occasions.

From about 1905 two constables were appointed annually instead of one. At various times during the long history of the Preceptory official visits were paid to 'the shrine of the Order’ - the ruins of Temple Bruer itself. One such memorable visit took place on 2nd June 1910 ‘in motor cars’ when the ruins were inspected, photographs taken, and a lecture delivered by E.Kt. W. Watkins. On return to Lincoln the members were hospitably entertained by the Preceptor, Charles Pratt, to tea 'and other refreshments’, later proceeding to Mint street where the new Preceptor was duly installed. It must have been quite a day. E.Kt. W. Rainforth retired from office as Registrar after twenty-eight years service.

In October 1910, in commemoration of the founding of Provincial Priory of Lincolnshire at Grimsby on 19th July 1910, and the Installation of V.E.Kt. The Hon. George Heneage (later Lord Heneage) as the first Provincial Prior and E.Kt. W. Rainforth as subprior, E.Kt. W.M. Wormal and E.Kt. R.O. Wormal presented to the Preceptory a group of seventy engravings, framed in oak, depicting the succession of Grandmasters of the Order of St. John from the eleventh century. On 1st December 1910 the first regular meeting of the Temple Bruer Priory of Malta was held, and those qualified were duly installed as Past Priors. The banners and table covers were borrowed for the occasion from the Sutcliffe Preceptory and Priory which had been formed that year, and later in the same year the Temple Bruer Preceptory purchased five Malta Banners and two table covers for the degree, at a cost of £7.16.0.

There is a curious note in the minutes of 6th June 1912: the death of Kt. George Dawson is recorded, and It was reported that it was his last wish to be buried in his Knight Templar costume 'which was accordingly done’.

In 1914 a member of the Preceptory having paid £4.4.0 was declared to be a life member, which seems to have been a unique privilege, and the first honorary member was elected.

An estimate of £20.15.0 was accepted for a Preceptory altar and fittings: which raises the interesting question as to what had been used hitherto for the past thirty years or so. In 1915 - possibly as a result of wartime service - Charles Jones disappeared without comment from the office of outer guard, and was replaced by W. Phillips. In 1916 'the new ritual authorised by Great Priory’ was adopted, and a grant of two guineas was made to the widow of Companion Strangward.

William Rainforth, whose remarkable services to the Order have already been described, died in 1924.

In 1925 it was noted that the Preceptory had been in debt to the bank for several years, and the subscription was raised from 10/6 to 12/6 with increases in the installation and joining fees: this proved insufficient, and the subscription was further increased to £1 in 1930.

New by-laws were adopted and printed in 1932, and this appears to have drawn attention to a curious omission: J.W. Phillips was duly obligated as a serving brother: he had been carrying out the duties of the office (outer guard) for the past seventeen years.

Robert Humphreys, a very distinguished mason, was installed in the Chair of the Preceptory in 1933; the regular collection of Alms was instituted in 1935. In 1936 Captain H.F.C. Crookshank M.P., H.M. Minister for Mines was elected a joining member and in the following year (1937) Lord Heneage, a senior member of the Preceptory was appointed Provincial Grandmaster in the Craft.

The outer guard (J.W. Phillips) suffered a long illness during the winter of 1937-38 and retired on medical advice: he was replaced by Companion Harold Theophilus Gravells, the newly appointed tyler of the Lincoln Lodges, who was duly obligated as a serving brother, by dispensation.

In 1940 it was reported that the Preceptory had completed sixty years continuous working.

As far as the Preceptory was concerned the impact of the Second World War was far greater than that of the first. The requirements of National Service in all its forms, the problems of 'blackout’ for premises, and the difficulties of travelling particularly in winter with masked headlights and increasingly severe petrol rationing, made it necessary to cancel the meetings scheduled for October and December 1939. There was grave uncertainty as to what was likely to happen, and in March 1940 it was decided to re-elect the Eminent Preceptor for a further year, and to retain all the officers unchanged. The meeting scheduled for June 1940 was cancelled, but the members were able to meet on 3rd October. A general discussion took place about the situation, and it was decided that it was not practicable to hold a meeting in December 1940; but the full range of meetings was in fact held in 1941. The death of Frank Barnett, Provincial sub-prior was reported, and E.Kt. W.J. Wilkinson, the Marshal of Temple Bruer Preceptory was appointed in his stead. Unfortunately his health was seriously failing, and increasing illness dogged his efforts to carry out his new duties. He died in 1943.

The meeting of December 1942 had to be cancelled.

In March 1944 John Gerald Turton Eccles was installed in the Temple Bruer Preceptory; the son of a member, he was destined ultimately to preside over the Province as its Provincial Prior. The Chaplain, Canon C.E. Bolam, who was leaving Lincoln to reside in New Zealand, expressed the wish that his regalia might be preserved for the future use of the Preceptory and his Provincial regalia for the use of the Province and made a generous gift of these items which are still in regular use.

The December meeting was again cancelled, but thereafter a full programme was worked without interruption but with some adjustment of dates where circumstances required. On no occasion were more than two consecutive meetings cancelled so that some meetings were held every year throughout the war despite the difficulties. In December 1945 notice was received of the impending formation of the Heneage Preceptory at Grantham, and every assistance was afforded them, including the holding of an emergency meeting to admit and qualify two potential founders.

The end of the Second World War found the Preceptory faced with a number of difficulties. Candidates had been rather restricted during wartime, and the Preceptory had always insisted that admission should be by invitation solicitation was regarded askance and might well be counterproductive in effect. For a long period (1879-1910) Temple Bruer had been the only Preceptory in Lincolnshire, and its members were drawn from the length and breadth of that large county; rehearsals were difficult to arrange, additional meetings almost impossible. As additional Preceptories were consecrated (Sutcliffe 190 on 23rd April 1910, Heneage 301 on 18th March 1946, All Saints 320 on 25th July 1948, Carmelite 349 on 23rd April 1956, and finally St. Paul's 466 on 4th December 1975,) it was confidently anticipated that future candidates would seek their local preceptories and the proportion of members resident in Lincoln would progressively increase. Unfortunately this object has not even yet been achieved; today only about 40% of the members reside locally; out of town members naturally wish to propose their own local friends and to share the travelling with them.

The Preceptory has always sought to admit as members not only those Christian masons who complied with the rather stringent qualifications demanded by Great Priory (recently somewhat relaxed) but also senior dedicated masons who had given ample proof of their loyalty and devotion, and expected its invitations to be regarded as an honour and a recognition of good service to Masonry over a period of years.

The effect of this policy had been to raise progressively the age of candidates, and the average age of members to an unacceptable level: many were over seventy and several severely handicapped. Canon Swanzy and Canon C.E. Bolam were almost completely blind; E.Kt. C.C. Watson, treasurer for many years was totally deaf, so that any question on the Preceptory accounts, which were meticulously kept, raised insuperable difficulties of communication; any requests for expenditure fell literally upon deaf ears. It was difficult to maintain a high standard of ritual work in such circumstances, and great credit is due to the late V.E.Kt. J.G.T. Eccles who worked untiringly to introduce by degrees younger and more vigorous candidates and to raise the standard of work in the Preceptory. The response took some time to get under way, but ultimately a great improvement in the situation has come about although the mortality rate among the members is naturally high and numbers have been slow to increase.

The Preceptory owes a great deal to the zeal and leadership of J.G.T. Eccles, W.W.R. Adair and R.L. Ringrose.

In June 1948 the Guard, Companion H.T. Gravells presented to the Preceptory a sceptre renovated by himself from materials retrieved from the ruins of Ypres during his active service there, in a casket made for it by Bro. George Dawson of Excalibur Lodge No. 2959.

Our present Provincial Prior, V.E.Kt. W.W.R. Adair (1978) was installed a knight of the Order on 2nd December 1948: since the inception of the Provincial Priory of Lincolnshire in 1910 all the Provincial Priors and about half the sub-priors have been members of Temple Bruer Preceptory.

In 1949, V.E.Kt. H.F.C Crookshank resigned owing to heavy Parliamentary and masonic duties; J.A. Nissler retired after 17 years service as registrar and frater. H.T. Gravells was unable to continue in office owing to ill health: Charles Brown was duly obligated as a serving brother in his place; he in turn relinquished office in 1962, and was unfortunately killed in a road accident a few months afterwards.

He was succeeded by W.L. Woods the present outer guard.

The Provincial Prior Lord Heneage, died in 1954, and was succeeded by V.E.Kt Crookshank, later the Rt. Hon. Viscount Crookshank G.C.T., who died in 1962, and was in turn succeeded by V.E.kt. J.G.T. Eccles who was succeeded in 1974 by our present Provincial Prior V.E.Kt. W.W.R. Adair.

In 1958 E.Kt. C.C. Watson died; he had served as treasurer of the Preceptory for thirty-six years and as Provincial registrar for thirty years.

In 1963 another memorable pilgrimage took place, by dispensation: an actual meeting of the Preceptory and Priory was held at Temple Bruer itself by kind invitation of E.Kt. J.E. Mountain who was a member of the order and had acquired the farmland upon which the historic buildings stood. He had generously contributed to the restoration and preservation of the buildings that remained, and had negotiated with the local authority to accept responsibility for their care in perpetuity. E.Kt. W.S. Maclean was (uniquely) installed there as Preceptor and Prior, and the members ware hospitably entertained by E.Kt. Mountain and his wife. A coloured photograph forming a souvenir of the visit was presented to the Preceptory by E.Kt. George Aram and is still in existence.

In March 1965 the meetings of the Preceptory were transferred from Mint Street to the County Assembly Rooms, Bailgate Lincoln.

With the approval of the Provincial Prior the Temple Bruer Preceptory launched a special appeal for the Ophthalmic Hospital of St. John at Jerusalem and with the generous assistance of the other Preceptories of the Province over £200 was raised to provide a library for the Nursing School. Seventy-five volumes suggested by the Matron were purchased in this country and despatched to the Hospital and the balance was handed over to the Ladies’ Committee to arrange for bookshelves to be made locally, and a residue for future purchases.

In 1968 Harry Lee, second constable of the Preceptory, was appointed to active membership of the Grandmaster's Bodyguard on which he served his tour of duty with distinction. In 1971, owing to other masonic commitments neither the first nor the second constable felt able to accept office as Preceptor and E.Kt. Harry Lee had once again a unique distinction: he served for two years in succession as Preceptor. E.Kt. Leonard Anderson presented a Past Preceptor and Prior's jewel to the Preceptory, and it was decided that this should be worn during his year of office by the immediate past Preceptor. E.Kt. Leonard Anderson, a distinguished and beloved mason was unhappily killed in a road accident in 1972 at the age of ninety years.

In 1974 a further specific appeal was launched for the Ophthalmic Hospital at Jerusalem, with a target figure of £500 which it was hoped to raise in four years. With the generous help of all the Preceptories and other Christian masonic bodies £534 was handed over when the appeal closed in 1977. In 1974 the Provincial Prior V.E.Kt. J.G.T. Eccles relinquished office and was succeeded by the Sub-Prior V.E.Kt. W.W.R. Adair. In December 1974 J.G.T. Eccles died, and also G.C. Wells Cole a past Preceptor of the Preceptory and a very distinguished mason.

With the Installation of the present Preceptor Arthur Colin Mason the Preceptory entered upon its centenary year.

Looking back over the century It Is impossible not to be impressed by the sterling qualities of the by-gone members who showed in their lives so many of the qualities which made the original Knights Templar famous: starting in poverty they were impelled by an indomitable faith to undertake daunting tasks calling for courage and determination of the highest order. Knowing they were isolated and alone, and knowing they could look for no support or assistance for there were none to come to their aid in calamity, they doggedly pursued their alms, and showed immense personal devotion and capacity for service over long periods of time. From among their ranks ultimately were drawn many of the most distinguished masons of the Province, - Provincial Grandmasters (of the Craft and the Mark) and their deputies) Provincial Priors and Sub-Priors; Inspectors General; Intendants General; the leaders of many masonic degrees and Orders. Eventually against all the odds they survived, they conquered; and over the long span of the years we can salute them, their courage, their devotion and their unselfish service.

Temple Bruer, the famous Preceptory or Commandery of the Knights Templar, is situated near the old Roman Ermine Street, or High Dyke, about 10 miles south east of Lincoln. The buildings, which stood somewhat in a valley, are believed to have been erected in the latter part of the 12th century. It consisted of four towers, one of which is still standing, and the usual circular church.

Past Preceptors

Year Name Year Name Year Name
1879 W. Watkins 1929 R. Epton 1979 W. Patton
1880 R.J. Ward 1930 C.E. Bolam 1980 F.F. Bullard
1881 G.M. Lowe 1931 E.J. Tongue 1981 R.D. H. Bridge
1882 F. Watson 1932 J.A. Nissler 1982 J.S. Dickie
1883 A. Kirk 1933 R. Humphreys 1983 J.S. Johnson
1884 T.M. Wilkinson 1934 C.H. Gilbert 1984 W.E. Coppin
1885 H.E. Cousans 1935 C.B. Aram 1985 D.V. Dolan
1886 W. Rainforth 1936 P.J. Timms 1986 W.N. Wells-Cole
1887 J.A. Robinson 1937 G.R.C. Harding 1987 J.L. Curtis
1888 B. Pratt 1938 F.O. Johnson 1988 A. Harness
1889 A.G. Gamble 1939 W.V. Ryder 1989 J.I. Jones
1890 T.M. Wilkinson 1940 W.V. Ryder 1990 D.A. Lee
1891 E.M. Weigall 1941 W.G. Watkins 1991 J.R. Hunter
1892 E.A. Cousans 1942 W.M. Schofield 1992 J.M. Hunt
1893 E.P. Dalton 1943 F.W. Heely 1993 R.T. Horobin
1894 T.E. Jacobson 1944 E. Taylor 1994 H.N. Thornley
1895 J.L. Rayner 1945 G. Gilbert 1995 S.C. Morton
1896 R.G. Pearson 1946 F. Weeber 1996 T.G. Kelsey
1897 J.S. Lord 1947 F.G.M. Stennett 1997 M.P. Mawson
1898 T.B. Jacobson 1948 E.A. Simpson 1998 P. Green
1899 F.J. Sowby 1949 A.W. Harrison 1999 A.R. Sargent
1900 E.Simpson 1950 T. Hicks 2000 B.A. Parish
1901 J. Graham 1951 J.G.T. Eccles 2001 I. Clegg
1902 J. Blew 1952 L.A. Anderson 2002 G. Forman
1903 C. Smith 1953 A.E. Wyles 2003 R.H. Adams
1904 R.O. Wormal 1954 A.O. Jones 2004 D.R. MacMillan
1905 W.N. Wormal 1955 E. Mather 2005 M.F. Bilton
1906 W.N. Wormal 1956 J.W. Hurt 2006 M.F. Bull
1907 C. S. Pitt 1957 E.J. Wildbore 2007 J. Ivory
1908 W. Dawson 1958 C.H. Friskney 2008 R.L. Brittan
1909 C. Pratt 1959 A.H. Briggs 2009 M. Barrowcliffe
1910 W. Shephard 1960 W. P. Harrison 2010 A.H. Price
1911 E.K. Brockway 1961 G. Brown 2011 J.M. Croad
1912 G.L. H. Revill 1962 A.E. Hartshorn 2012 J.T. Little
1913 W.J. Wilkinson 1963 W.S. Maclean 2013 T.J. Coffey
1914 D. Welby 1964 R.S. Moss-Blundell 2014 B.M. Goodman
1915 J.E. Brown 1965 C. Rennell 2015 W.E. Bradford
1916 C. Nelson 1966 T.E. Gover 2016 W.E. King
1917 A. Bellamy 1967 S.J. Searle 2017 D.M. Wicks
1918 A.E. Brunning 1968 G.C. Wells-Cole 2018 E.C. Coleman
1919 F.R. Watson 1969 C.E. Friskney 2019 R.H.J. Wall
1920 W.S. Owston 1970 H. Lee 2020
1921 G. Gunning 1971 H. Lee 2021
1922 L.K. Osmond 1972 J. Crowther 2022
1923 W.S. Dawson 1973 J.T. Stiles 2023
1924 S.H. Jackson 1974 G.T. Hutchinson 2024
1925 W.T. Bell 1975 F.F. Temple 2025
1926 R.C. Minton 1976 N. Longstaffe 2026
1927 T.C. Ives 1977 B.B. Humphreys 2027
1928 C.C. Watson 1978 A.C. Mason 2028